Losers take all


(Jester in 19th Century watercolours and lead pencils by Douglas McClure)

Below the blackening sky go I
warily wearily wobbly o
frightened to live and frightened to die
toll bell toll
sick as a parrot covered in glue
languid as leeks in the depth of a stew
who would be me, except possibly you?
losers take all

Doom is the name of the game we play
warily wearily wobbly o
doom by the bushel an acre a day
toll bell toll
death is a mercy so sing it again
show me a pain and I'll show you a pen
wrists in the bath or a surfeit of men
losers take all

Moan it and mix it. Trowel it on thick
warily wearily wobbly o
fate is a pheasant with salt on its dick
toll bell toll
cry me to sleep with my head on a sack
stuffed with the rotting remains of a yak
call me an artist - god knows I'll be back
losers take all


The painting and this poem were produced independently, but seem made for each other.

No comments: