The Consequential Prophet

I'm the Consequential Prophet and my following is growing.
When the train's already rolling I can tell you where it's going.
When the bomb's already falling I can tell you who's to die -
I can tell you how and when but never why.

I'm the Consequential Prophet, I'm a lover of despair.
I manipulate depression. It's the only suit I wear
but I've made it quite the fashion and you'll love it to the hilt
for it's carded, spun and woven out of guilt.

Not for me a Father's mansion or a palace in the sky.
I'm your here and now disaster-man. Forget the by and by.
When you're truly my disciples you will know, for you will feel
only agony is real, real, real.

I'm the Consequential Prophet, I'm a wallower in gloom,
I'm a peddler of despondency, a worshipper of doom
and I have to keep you miserable. I mustn't let you see
if you ever learn to laugh you'll laugh at me.

No comments: